Date:      Sun, 13 May 2001 08:06:07 -0600
From:      Don Wilde <Don@Silver-Lynx.com>
To:        Doug Young <dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au>
Cc:        Stefan Parvu <sparvu@cc.hut.fi>, Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>, Kathy Quinlan <katinka@magestower.com>, Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>, N6REJ <n6rej@tcsn.net>, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I'm leaving

> I'm on an "anti-CVS" trip at present after experiencing nothing but
> problems with it.
> Seems a surprising number of experienced operators I've spoken to
> share that view as well.
> Does anyone have good experiences with it, or is it simply something
> that a few people use because its available ??

I think CVSup is _essential_ and is an excellent tool. The only thing I
_don't_ ever do is try to bump it a branch, i.e. 3.x to 4.x. I'm sure it
would work and the files that need to be hand-updated are well
documented, but I don't have the patience to do that. I'd rather just
install a raw -RELEASE from CDs and update from there. [Of course, I
have a T1 and a dozen machines to park my userland files on...]

I've rarely had problems with CVSup itself except that some servers are
slower than others. A web page that showed loading on the mirrors would
be really nice. If a 'make buildworld' does happen to crash, just go
back and CVSup again a few hours later. Even if your sources are out of
whack for that time, remember that all of your binaries are still good
until you 'make installworld' over them.
--
Don Wilde           http://www.Silver-Lynx.com
Silver Lynx   Embedded Microsystems Architects