Date:      Sun, 11 Apr 1999 18:24:55 +0200 (SAST)
From:      Khetan Gajjar <khetan@chain.freebsd.os.org.za>
To:        Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: splashscreens

Around Today, "Mark Ovens" wrote :

MO>  I think it (also) depends on the graphics card. I know I get errors
MO>  about the required graphics mode not available for some DOS programs
MO>  and the card comes with a DOS TSR program which allows VESA modes
MO>  to be used (I've never bothered installing it though, and it would
MO>  be no use under FreeBSD anyway).

I'm using a PCI Diamond Stealth64 Video 2001 (at the time I bought it 4
years ago, it was *hot*), which uses a S3 Trio 64V+ chipset.
I'm sure later cards can easily "do" more than this one.

MO>  I guess some modern graphics cards just don't support VESA display
MO>  modes without a driver these days (coz everyone uses Windows).

Oh, so I'm actually quite lucky with my older card :)

---
Khetan Gajjar       (!kg1779) * khetan@os.org.za
http://www.os.org.za/~khetan  * Talk/Finger khetan@chain.freebsd.os.org.za
FreeBSD enthusiast            * http://www2.za.freebsd.org/
Security-wise, NT is a OS with a "kick me" sign taped to it

Reference : <19990411170902.B257@marder-1.localhost>
Date      : Apr 11, 1999, 5:09pm