Date:      Wed, 27 Aug 1997 11:31:07 -0500
From:      Wm Brian McCane <root@bmccane.uit.net>
To:        Simon Shapiro <Shimon@i-Connect.Net>
Cc:        "burt f." <burt@focusplus.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ? power outages and file system corruption

> Hi "burt f.";  On 26-Aug-97 you wrote:
> >

> >  Is the only way to protect against power-outage-caused file system
> >  corruption to install a UPS?  Someone mentioned to me that Sun
> >  (yeah, i know it's Solaris, but i just wanted to know if there was
> >  something analogous in FBSD) has some sort of disk/FS caching to
> >  protect against this.
>
> In theory, a journaling filesystem will do that.  Veritas is a good name
> for these.  The problem with most of these is that a $300 UPS is cheaper
> and more reliable.  Most such filesystems are attached to such an increase
> in complexity that the most common cause of curruption is a filesystem code
> bug.  Even a UPS does not help you then.
>
> Simon

There is another benefit to buying a UPS.  At my last job we used to lose
power all the time (5-10 ton electric cranes).  After I bought the UPS, the
power outtages stopped.  When I became self-employed, I bought a new UPS for
my home computer, I haven't lost electrical power here for almost 2 years
now.  I feel this is empirical evidence that UPS' prevent power outtages 8->.

	brian