Date:      Thu, 6 Sep 2001 10:40:39 +0800
From:      Igor Podlesny <poige@morning.ru>
To:        Gregory Neil Shapiro <gshapiro@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re[2]: auto relaying for subdomains -- why?

poige>> I  noticed  that  some  mailers (sendmail, postfix) in case they allow
poige>> relaying    for    somedomain.zone    also    allow    relaying    for
poige>> subdomain-of.somedomain.zone.

poige>> I can accept this as reasonable behavior but would like to know how to
poige>> deny it! :) Also I wish to know what was the actual idea behind this?

>>From /usr/share/sendmail/cf/README:

> +----------+
> | FEATURES |
> +----------+
> Available features are:
> relay_hosts_only
>                 By default, names that are listed as RELAY in the access
>                 db and class {R} are domain names, not host names.
>                 For example, if you specify ``foo.com'', then mail to or
>                 from foo.com, abc.foo.com, or a.very.deep.domain.foo.com
>                 will all be accepted for relaying.  This feature changes
>                 the behaviour to lookup individual host names only.

Yes,          I          saw          this          info         here:
http://www.sendmail.org/m4/features.html#relay_mail_from    but   most
valuable  part of my question was about the purpose or the idea behind
this,  cause it's not too clear to me why allowing relaying for domain
FOO.BAR  should  allow  relaying  for  SUB.FOO.BAR?  I  mentioned RFCs
because  I had a hope to find out the answer from it but still haven't
yet...

--
 Igor                            mailto:poige@morning.ru