Date:      Sun, 04 Jul 1999 14:27:37 -0700
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Dutch Collins <dutch@charm.net>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Changes to .conf and disaster?

Dutch Collins wrote:

> I thought I would ask about this before I started something that
> could result in "oops";
>
> Would I regret changing .conf, rc., and others to match what I have
> read in Nemeth. Example; directory names and places, and filenames.
> The reason: I can give someone the book and say *read it* and baby-sit
> madelyn (the pc).
>
> don't know where to send this, but maybe someone else has had such
> an idea - maybe only a newbie would.

	Yes, it would be a really bad idea to change things like that. I'm not
sure which book exactly that you are talking about, but FreeBSD has a
number of quirks that make it different from other OS'es, even other unix
OS'es.

	If you have a specific task that you are trying to accomplish you might
want to formulate a question and send it to the freebsd-questions list.
Otherwise, just changing things to make them look like the book is a bad
idea. :)

Good luck,

Doug