Date:      Thu, 29 Dec 2016 17:39:30 -0500
From:      Vincent Olivier <vincent@up4.com>
To:        "freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org" <freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Multiple bhyve Guests, Single bridge/tap?

Hi!

I made a little diagram of the situation that I posted of Twitter. If =
you are aggressive enough with the web interface you can see a full size =
version where the labels are clear enough to read.

https://twitter.com/MUP4/status/814595352112283649

I had fun doing it. Hope it provides a little bit of joy to you helpful =
guys too! :)

> On Dec 29, 2016, at 1:09 PM, Matt Churchyard <churchers@gmail.com> =
wrote:
>=20
> As mentioned a bridge is the virtual equivalent of a switch. It only =
really makes sense to have more than one bridge if you have more than =
one interface on your guest(s), and want to connect those interfaces to =
separate networks. (Or you want some guests on a different network, =
possibly bridged to a different physical interface).

That is why I made the above diagram. There are multiple networks and =
multiple interfaces, etc.

> If you want to provide complete network separation between guests, =
it's much easier to just use the 'private' option to ifconfig when =
bridging the guest's tap interface. Any bridge member set to private can =
not talk to any other private bridge member. Of course this is only =
really applicable in multi-tenant situations like Aryeh says. If they =
are all your own guests, the fact that they can see each other on the =
network should hopefully be a non-issue.

Got it. I think that the planned architecture illustrated in the diagram =
provides the adequate level of isolation.

Here is an explanation of the guest virtual machines and their intended =
uses:

CINQ: this is the bare-metal OS it provides a Samba service on a ZFS =
pool to both the 1G and the 10G networks. It also contains all the other =
virtual machines.

PFSENSE: I guess this is the most sensitive network-wise. It has to =
provide a DHCP service for both the 1G and the 10G networks (with =
separate subnets). It provides NAT routing, bandwidth shaping, etc. to =
the ADSL MODEM for internet access on the 1G network only (not the 10G). =
Also only for the 1G network, there should be a HTTP/HTTPS proxy =
(probably squid, depending on what pfsense supports) that transparently =
further proxies *.onion and *.i2p routing to relevant HTTP/HTTPS/SOCKS =
proxy services on the ALTNET machine.

ALTNET: =E2=80=9Cdark web proxy=E2=80=9D accessible explicitly or via =
PFSENSE traffic, uses the internet connection provided by PFSENSE. =
Requires access to the 1G network (for explicit access), and to the =
PFSENSE for the Squid transparent proxying and internet for software =
updates.

UNIFI: network device management for the 1000BASE-T SWITCH and the UNIFI =
802.11 AP (access point). Requires access to the 1G network (where the =
devices are) and the internet for software updates.

CULTURED: modified forked-daapd service for the 1G network. Requires =
internet access via PFSENSE for software updates.

So I guess, my only question is: will that work?

Thank you all in advance. Maybe I=E2=80=99m getting too excited but with =
bhyve, FreeBSD makes a lot of sense for the always-on home appliance =
that I always dreamed of=E2=80=A6

Take care,

Vincent=