Date:      Tue, 28 May 2002 00:08:02 -0400
From:      The Anarcat <anarcat@anarcat.ath.cx>
To:        Jordan K Hubbard <jkh@queasyweasel.com>
Cc:        Alexander Langer <alex@big.endian.de>, libh@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: screenshot / recent work

--LQksG6bCIzRHxTLp

On Mon May 27, 2002 at 05:28:40PM -0700, Jordan K Hubbard wrote:
> That's really cool, congrats guys!  You've all made some really incredibl=
e=20
> progress lately, turning libh from a weird little curiousity into somethi=
ng=20
> which genuinely looks like it'll be replacing sysinstall in the=20
> not-too-distant future.  I know that was the plan all along, but I'll be=
=20
> honest - I had some real doubts for awhile and what I've seen in the last=
 6=20
> months is nothing short of amazing!

Thanks. This is really appreciated.

> Now that I've buttered you all up, one small critical suggestion for the=
=20
> disk editor... :-)

Good, good. I was waiting for that, at last!

> It would be really nice if there were some way to nest the=20
> partitions/slices visually so that it was clear from more than just the=
=20
> name what was "inside" what, to wit:
>=20
> 	ad0		IDE DISK		500MB
> 		ad0s1	DOS			200MB
> 		ad0s2	BSD			300MB
> 			ad0s2a	/			80MB
> 			ad0s2d	/usr			170MB
> 			ad0s2e	/var			50MB
>=20
> Or something to that effect.  You could even line up the types and sizes =
if=20
> that would look better:
>=20
> 	ad0				IDE DISK		500MB
> 		ad0s1		DOS			200MB
> 		ad0s2		BSD			300MB
> 			ad0s2a	/			80MB
> 			ad0s2d	/usr			170MB
> 			ad0s2e	/var			50MB

2 things with that layout:

1- it takes up more space than just lining up the devices in only one
column

2- it includes the mountpoint, which I explicitly tried to move to
another dialog: one dialog seperates slices and partitions and the
other one formats and mounts them. This is a radical move from classic
sysinstall way, but I don't think it's wrong. It does make the code
much simpler and isolates the range of effect of each dialog. "Write"
will write only fdisk and disklabel, not newfs and mount.

Also note that your layout discards the begin and end sectors columns,
which I find a problem.

> Naturally, if we have those little "disclosure triangles" in the generic=
=20
> widget set's list widget (you know, the triangles that point down when=20
> they're expanded and point to the right when they're indicating that=20
> there's "more to disclose") then they could also be used to very good=20
> effect in the disk editor, with "full disclosure" being the default state.

Of course, if we had such a widget in Hui, it would be really cool,
but I doubt tvision even supports this at all. It's also kinda hard to
picture those triangles in a text-only display. (what character do you
use??)

But I agree that the current diskeditor display layout is pretty
confusing. One must know its way around slices/partitions already in
order to get this thing to work. Unfortunatly, there are only 2 ways
out:

1- move to a tree display

Pros: much better look and functionality.
Cons: hard to implement.

2- move back to the original sysinstall diskeditor scheme, where we
have an fdisk dialog and a label dialog.

Pros: easier to implement, codebase to get inspired from.
Cons: must re-implement everything again, not an intuitive interface,
IMHO.

I would of course go into the tree direction, but I'm not sure of how
to proceed since I seriously doubt tvision support in this area.

A.

--=20
=46rom the age of uniformity, from the age of solitude, from the age of
Big Brother, from the age of doublethink - greetings!

--LQksG6bCIzRHxTLp

--LQksG6bCIzRHxTLp--