Date:      Wed, 23 Oct 1996 07:51:45 +0100 (MET)
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        brandon@glacier.cold.org (Brandon Gillespie)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Postscript Printing problems (printcap)

> I am experiencing a very odd problem.  The first file I send to the
> printer will print fine.  Any subsequent files will not print, and the
> light on the priter will blink indefinitely.  However, I accidentally
> stumbled upon something that causes it to continue to print other things.
> If I run tip on the same device as the lpd is using, I get echo'd output
> of the subsequent files I print and everything works (??).
>
> Printer: Apple Laserwriter II NTX
>
> /etc/printcap entry:
>
>     lp|ps|PS|S|Apple|Apple LaserWriter IINTX:\
>         :sh:\
>         :mx=0:\
>         :br#9600:\
>         :sd=/var/spool/lpd/isp:\
>         :lp=/dev/ttydl:\
>         :if=/usr/local/libexec/psif:\
>         :lf=/var/log/isp.log:
>

> /etc/remote entry:
>
>     printer:dv=/dev/ttydl:br#9600:pa=none
>
> I can print a file with 'lpr file.ps' and it will print.  Doing the same
> again it does not print, and the light blinks indefinitely.  However if I
> type 'tip printer' I see all of the output of the second file, with the
> printer's responses etc as it parses/compiles the file, ending with the
> appropriate 'showpage' and subsequent printing.
>
> WHY is it doing this??  In /etc/rc.serial I am setting the device as
> simply 'default l'.

I don't know much about LW and it might as well be a line (ttyd) problem
as you point out but when debugging Postscript printer problems
I often found it useful to do a

cat -u /dev/ttyd1 >/var/log/PS-log (e.g. in /etc/rc.local)

and later do a

tail -f /var/log/PS-log

while sending jobs to the printer to see any anomalies. Might it have to
do something with ^D being required for the LW at the end of a file or not?