Date:      Tue, 19 Nov 2002 12:32:58 +1300
From:      Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>
To:        Mike Hoskins <mike@adept.org>
Cc:        "Sameer R. Manek" <manek@ecst.csuchico.edu>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, re@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: restoring definition of -stable

On Mon, Nov 18, 2002 at 03:12:25PM -0800, Mike Hoskins wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Nov 2002, Sameer R. Manek wrote:

[..]
> > The definition of what is -stable has been relaxed in the past 2 years. If
> > you look at the handbook from 2 years ago, you will see this is what they
> > define it as.
>
> Not surprisingly, I find a lot of changes in the past two years.  The
> handbook is a living document, it will change.  The current definitions
> explain how FreeBSD works now.  If you don't like how it works, it's much
> more effective to volunteer and effect change from the inside out than it
> is to point fingers and make empty suggestions.  If you are not qualified
> to help, then it is also unlikely you understand all the issues pertaining
> to your request.

Sameer's suggestion is not an empty one. I would say that there  are
quite a few long-timers on the -stable list that would like to have
-stable prove to be "stable" again. There *are* volunteers: Marc Fournier,
has stepped up to the plate to stress-test -stable *and* provide
core-dumps.

What we don't have is buy-in from -core; and the only way that will
happen is if enough people voice their concern. It's hard to work from
the inside if you're on the outside, and no one's asking you in.

Cheers.
--
Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>