Date:      Sun, 9 Oct 2005 16:17:52 -0700
From:      Bill Fenner <fenner@research.att.com>
To:        Vizion <vizion@vizion.occoxmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD ports: 1 unfetchable distfiles: shells/ksh93

>While you are looking at this issue -- is there any way a request to the
>port
>maintainer could be initiated, asking the maintainer to regularly check the
>status of the port when the port is broken (file cannot be fetched) to bring
>the port up todate?

Normally, the distfile survey would send a periodic email to
maintainers of ports that are unfetchable; however, it doesn't
send email about ports that are marked "BROKEN".  This has an
unfortunate interaction with ports that are marked BROKEN because
they're unfetchable.

Fixing this interaction will go on my TODO list.

>For example Zend cannot be fetched. I think what happened was Zend
>created a port of the Zend server which can install, right out of
>the box. The mistaken assumption seems to have been made that the the
>current ZendStudio file from Zend will also unpack without the need for
>a port. The fact is it does not.

What it looks like to me is that Zend changed how you get the
evaluation version and the port didn't get updated.  The port is
for 3_5_2 and the current version appears to be 4.0.

> I hate it when ports drop out of maintainence and finish up not being
>available.

Me too.  However, people can't always keep up with the things that
they'd like to do.  I spent about 3 years not being a good port
maintainer and neglecting the distfile survey - other things came
up.

>Also installing as a port has significant benefits -- so how
>do we get a system that deals with these 'oddities'?

Eliminate the people from the system?...

  Bill