Date:      Tue, 21 Aug 2012 11:17:36 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: pkgng 1.0 release schedule, and HEAD switch to pkgng by default schedule

On 8/21/2012 6:46 AM, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
> I would also like to just remove pkg_* tools from RELENG_10 if that fits the
> schedule.

Um, no?

Until pkg becomes mandatory (which can't happen for several years) the
pkg_* tools can't be removed altogether.

What _would_ be useful is what should have been done many years ago when
it was first suggested: Move the pkg_* tools to ports.

It's too late for 9.1 already, but if you made that change today in
HEAD, and after 9.1 (but before 8.4) you MFC it to stable/[89], then you
could theoretically make pkg mandatory after 9.1 EOLs.

To make my point more clear, the ports tree has to support the last
release to ship with pkg_* tools in the base throughout its lifetime. To
do anything else would be be a massive POLA violation.

Doug

--

    I am only one, but I am one.  I cannot do everything, but I can do
    something.  And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what