Date:      Mon, 20 Jul 1998 16:52:28 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Willem Jan  Withagen <wjw@surf.IAE.nl>
To:        cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IBM DCAS

In article <Pine.BSF.3.96.980719181331.18742A-100000@duey.hs.wolves.k12.mo.us> you write:

>> > Ok, makes sense.. I was just wondering. :-)
>> >
>> > And I guess that last part about IBM drives is a GoodThing?
>>
>> It doesn't really matter. The IBM driver have
>> other annoying firmware features (e.g. can't
>> deal with a "start motor" command in certain
>> situation where it could be considered a NOP),
>> and they sometimes drop the number of tagged
>> commands they can deal with for no apparent
>> reason. But I'm still thinking that the DDRS
>> is a rather good buy, currently ;-)
>
>I thought that tag problem was only with certain Quantum drives.  :-)
>Well, these are DCAS drives, and have worked without a single hitch so
>far, but I wouldn't exactly say I put them under any major stress.
>Knock on wood.

I currently run a rack of DCAS on an adaptec 2940UW without much of
a problem (until last night, which is most likely a temperature problem)

	(ahc0:14:0): "IBM DCAS-34330W S61A"

I've created several CCD's and I'm trying to pound on them using bonnie,
iozone, and likes.

Like I said, they ran for 4 days hammering without trouble, until
the summer started here in Holland. And my garage/office started to heat up.

Now I've asked IBM what the latest firmware release for these drives was.
But untill now I've only received dumb, std answers.

--WjW
--
Internet Access Eindhoven BV.,  voice: +31-40-2 393 393, data: +31-40-2 606 606
P.O. 928, 5600 AX Eindhoven, The Netherlands