Date:      Thu, 6 Aug 1998 07:38:57 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Jenkins <mjenkins@carp.gbr.epa.gov>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        shredder@hack.babel.dk, spork@super-g.com
Subject:   Re: pop3/tcp server failing (looping)

On Thu, 6 Aug 1998 01:58:18 -0400 (EDT)  Charles Sprickman wrote:

> In inetd.conf, just change "nowait" to "nowait.100" or however many
> connections/minute you need...  It's in the man page somewhere.

At first I thought Charles was talking about Linux (and he was in syntax)
but the FreeBSD inetd(8) manual page shows:

   {wait|nowait}[/max-child[/max-connections-per-ip-per-minute]]

 The maximum number of outstanding child processes (or ``threads'') for a
 ``nowait'' service may be explicitly specified by appending a ``/'' fol-
 lowed by the number to the ``nowait'' keyword. Normally (or if a value of
 zero is specified) there is no maximum. Otherwise, once the maximum is
 reached, further connection attempts will be queued up until an existing
 child process exits. This also works in the case of ``wait'' mode, al-
 though a value other than one (the default) might not make sense in some
 cases.  You can also specify the maximum number of connections per minute
 for a given IP address by appending a ``/'' followed by the number to the
 maximum number of outstanding child processes. Once the maximum is
 reached, further conections from this IP address will be dropped until
 the end of the minute.

So the -R switch applies to all services but you can taylor individual
services with the nowait/max-child/rate field.  This FreeBSD is good
stuff!

Mike