Date:      Wed, 14 Feb 2001 08:24:26 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Stephen D. Spencer" <bsd-alpha@boneyard.lawrence.ks.us>
To:        "'Wilko Bulte'" <wkb@freebie.demon.nl>
Cc:        "Koster, K.J." <K.J.Koster@kpn.com>, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /usr/obj required space

On Tue, 13 Feb 2001, 'Wilko Bulte' wrote:

> [...]

Another factor in the Alpha's binary size is that it is a RISC.  If you
take a look at the data sheet for the 21164, it has a rather small
instruction set consisting of relatively primitive instructions.
Though I have not yet read this document carefully, RISC instructions
historically tend to execute in no more the 4 clock cycles vs the more
complex instructions associated with CISC technology that can take
over 100 clock cycles to complete.  In a nut shell, RISC chips require
more instructions to accomplish common tasks.  More instructions will
yield larger binaries as well as the buffer and word size issues
that have already been mentioned.

If you know any hard-core Macintosh users, ask them what happened to
the size of binaries and disk space/memory requirements during the
transition from the 68x000 -> PowerPC.

--
Stephen Spencer
UNIX Systems Administrator