Date:      Sat, 5 Oct 2002 22:14:02 +0200
From:      Jens Trzaska <jt@barfoos.de>
To:        Firsto Lasto <firstolasto@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: related jail topic - /dev/null often and regularly reverts permissions...

On Thu, Oct 03, 2002 at 12:25:15PM -0700, Firsto Lasto wrote:

> If you run a jail, and inside that jail is a /dev with the file /dev/null
> in it, the normal 0666 permissions of /dev/null will often get changed to
> 0600.
>
> I cannot see any reason why this would happen - I thought maybe there was
> something in /etc/rc that would do it, but there is not.  Further, the
> reversions seem random and irregular - happens in some jails, doesn't in
> others.
>
> I have witnessed this on multiple jails in multiple different physical
> machines, on versions from 4.4 to 4.6.2.
>
> Anyone have any ideas why this happening ?  Has anyone else seen this ?

I've seen this some weeks ago when I was playing with vinum on some
disks. That day I got vinum to panic the system for three times. Every
time the permissions on /dev/null were broken on boot.
And that was not inside of jails.

Jens
--
KeyID=96FE36DB
Key fingerprint=1C9B 7EF8 1A22 1740 9F1B  AB7B 17D2 64E1 96FE 36DB