Date:      Fri, 22 Sep 2000 08:27:26 +0200
From:      Len Conrad <lconrad@Go2France.com>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: low-cost/low-speed HDLC WAN card

> > I'm back again looking for a low-cost, 128 kbits/sec WAN card, even
> > ISA, single-port with HDLC V.35/X.21/V.11/EIA530.  I need this to
> > drive leased-line links in France.
> >
> > etinc.com's got a 10-year-old model 5025 ISA card but it's $475 and 2
> > megabits. We use two now in our ISP and it works fine, but to use
> > FreeBSD in a big nationwide VPN/IPsec project, we need to keep
> the price down.
> >
> > We can buy a Zyxel 153X WAN router for about that price, but it
> > doesn't do VPN nor more than one ethernet i/f nor does it's
> > non-loggable, limited packet filtering come anywhere near ipfilter.
>
>This may sound heretical, but have you considered using the router AND a
>FreeBSD firewall?

Yes, of course, this is precisely our approach for the ISDN local
loop, with the sweet little Zyxel 128 ISDN router/bridge as our
"ISDN-to-Ethernet" bridge (no ip in Zyxel), since we think Zyxel ISDN
functions are well ahead/proven vs what we can accomplish with the
ISDN card/drivers for FreeBSD.

Dennis/etinc is calling me silly for not asking for a discount on his
cards, so I'll see how low he can go. But we've realized that the 1U
and 2U boxes have PCI risers, not ISA risers.

Len