Date:      Sat, 2 Mar 2013 00:07:54 +0100 (CET)
From:      Juergen Lock <nox@jelal.kn-bremen.de>
To:        peter.o.mueller@gmx.de
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: qemu-devel @ FreeBSD

In article <DC9F37B1-C5FF-4EFD-ABB5-BD62E95EC5AC@gmx.de> you write:
>Hello,
Hi!

>not sure if sending this mail to this address is correct …
>
>I installed qemu following https://wiki.freebsd.org/qemu
>
>Finally it worked and I can boot an existing image containing an Debian/i383 system.
>
>The problem is that it is really really slow.
>
>On the same hardware when running Debian as host and this mentioned Debian/i386 guest
>is really fast.
>
>What could be the problem that the image on FreeBSD is so slow?
>
>Do you have any hints where I can start looking?

 The kvm port was never finished so you are most likely using jit
which is slow.  If you are looking for reasonably fast x86-on-x86
virtualization you are better off using emulators/virtualbox-ose:

	https://wiki.freebsd.org/VirtualBox

 HTH,
	Juergen

PS: Or bhyve but that so far is only in -current and can't run other
guests than FreeBSD yet:

	http://bhyve.org/