Date:      Mon, 1 Nov 1999 18:22:17 -0500
From:      Christopher Michaels <ChrisMic@clientlogic.com>
To:        'Nathaniel Schein' <nschein@prisa.com>
Cc:        Freebsd Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: The size of root and swap

Nathaniel,
This has been hashed about periodically on the mailing list, so 1st off I
would suggest searching the mailing list archives for some good information.

Also, yes it is still suggested to keep the root on the small side.  You
want enough space to hold the kernel, /etc, /root and the like.

You would be best served to have separate partitions for /tmp and /var, or
symlink them to your /home or /usr partitions.

As far as swap goes, I do know it needs to be more than the available
memory.  Beyond that it truly depends on what you are doing with the
machine.  I have 128MB of ram in my system, and I have yet to touch swap
since upgrading it to that.  So x2 mem would be overkill for my situation.

Hope this helps.
-Chris