Date:      Sat, 22 Feb 2003 15:27:39 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Peter Wu <peterwu@canada.com>
Cc:        "Brian O'Shea" <b_oshea@yahoo.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: STABLE buildworld/buildkernel on 4.5-R apparently worked

> "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net> writes:
>
> >> Greetings,
> >>
> >> I am in the process of upgrading my FreeBSD 4.5-RELEASE system to -STABLE.
> >>
> >> Last night (Feb 21 03:30 UTC) I cvsup'ed RELENG_4, did a buildworld and
> >> buildkernel, and it seemed to go without a hitch.  I'm used to running
> >> into a hitch! :-)
> >>
> >> Before I go ahead and installkernel/installworld, are there any known
> >> problems with this upgrade path?  Except for the pam.conf issue, I don't
> >> see any pertinent problems in the -stable archives or the UPDATING file
> >> (at least not with any of the software that I use -- I'm not running
> >> sendmail, for example).  Am I missing any sneaky little problems?
> >
> > Yes. Be very sure that you run 'mergemaster -p' before you attempt to
> > install the new system. If you don't, installworld might fail in a
> > very ugly way.
>
> 4.5-RELEASE does not have a mergemaster that knows -p switch.

Sorry. It's amazing how easy it is to forget the obvious once it's no longer an issue. The '-p' option was added to mergemaster to deal with the problem that will bite you. So it's not there, yet. But it is in your source tree, so you can run it from there.

You need to explicitly invoke it with the full path which should be:
/usr/obj/usr/src/usr.sbin/mergemaster

Of course, once you have completed this update, you will not have to do this again as '-p' is now a permanent part of mergemaster.

--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)