Date:      Fri, 27 Mar 1998 15:31:38 +0100
From:      "Christopher Martin at Home" <psycho@keyworld.net>
To:        "Mark Ovens" <marko@uk.radan.com>
Cc:        "Sue Blake" <sue@welearn.com.au>, "james huckle" <james@xch.net>, "'FreeBSD Newbie Submission'" <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FW: Email [was: Squid will that be fried ?]

> If there isn't, then there should be, if only to try and stem the
> creeping malaise that is Microsoft from imposing it's "standards" on us
> all. One of the problems though is the definition of "basic standards",
> indeed standards in general.
>
> > I think this is a quality issue.

By standards, I mean modularity but job-determined functionality, design
etc. that result in a tool doing what it is meant to do for the volume it
is meant to handle and as economically as possible with minimal user
confusion and training require. I.e. Defininitely nothing less, but nothing
more for Pete's sake.

I can assure you from my experience with Win 95 app first time users is
that the "easy to use" gui win 95 presents now has such a number of options
and menu commands that it takes even myself (who I consider to be an
experienced intuitive user) ages to find the right option. Then you find
that it is just there for mkt purposes but it is limited anyway e.g. inbox
filtering of MS Internet Mail. Another problem is the gui is losing the
reason behhind its inception: user psychology studies for best intuitive
interpretation of menubars are being defeated because people get used to a
particular tool location in a menu in v.3.0 only to find it is somewhere
else in v.4.0.

When will they learn?

So why not create modular apps with a master config file which only need
new add-ons when really requested: a Unix system basically ;-)

I think the only problem with Unix is the admin side. The canned disks seem
to simplify things. Only problem with installation is usually hardware.

Also the conf editing can be assisted with some kind of control panel
(simple though) and some better documentation!

Like UNIX for donkeys.