Date:      Sun, 16 Jan 2005 10:20:49 +0000
From:      David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        Robert William Vesterman <bob@vesterman.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cannot su?

On Sat, Jan 15, 2005 at 10:46:03PM -0500, Robert William Vesterman wrote:
> I have a similar problem, but only after I use X.  I can su perfectly
> fine before using X, and I can su perfectly fine while using X (and a
> terminal window), but after exiting X, if I want to su, I have to reboot.

You might want to try the following C program to check that getlogin
is returning the right name at each stage.

	David.

10:18:gonzo 17% cat printlogin.c
#include <stdio.h>
#include <unistd.h>

int main(void) { puts(getlogin()); }
10:18:gonzo 18% gcc -o printlogin printlogin.c
10:18:gonzo 19% ./printlogin
dwmalone