Date:      Thu, 4 May 2000 14:10:47 -0400
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        "Andrew J. Korty" <ajk@iu.edu>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cryptographic dump(8)

On Wed, May 03, 2000 at 10:33:32AM -0500, Andrew J. Korty wrote:
> I've just extended dump(8) and restore(8) to encipher dump lists
> and inode data with CBC 3DES, leaving the headers as cleartext.
> Keys can be entered from the tty or a cleartext file.  The
> purpose is to safely transport and store dumps containing
> sensitive data.

Everyone seems pretty excited about this possible extension to
dump-restore, but I have a few IMHOs that do not seem to have come up
in the thread.

IMHO, secure transport and secure storage are two different
issues. True, if the dump is encrypted from the get-go, secure
transport is moot, but for me and for others I am sure, secure storage
is not needed or desired. I don't want people peaking at dumps over
the network, but as for the media, I use the physical security of the
media (a safe or lockbox) rather than encryption.

You may ask what's the problem with just adding the extra layer of
encryption to the dump? First and foremost, is how to store the keys
to the dumps securely. If I am making dumps for a company or other
entity, it may not be me who is doing the restore. The electronic
keys and any passwords involved must be documented. And they must be
kept as long as the backups are kept. If you toss a floppy with the
keys on it and a Post-It with the password in with your dump tapes,
where is this added security? You need to lock all that up... so why
not lock unencrypted tapes in the first place and skip the headaches.

Tape, which still is the medium of choice for dumps (yes, others,
including the ridiculously cheap HDD, are options), is not known for
being the most reliable. If the process is not designed well,
corruption on one small part of the tape renders the dump
useless. If it is unencrypted, you can pull the raw data off of the
dump and it could still be quite salvageable.

Unfortunately, I saw in the thread that this solution "was
needed yesterday." I hope that means things like recovery from partial
media failure are not overlooked or sacrificed. Because, and this is
another huge issue, if incompatibilities in the dump-restore process
arise, your data may again be lost forever. Or we get dump-retore
bloat for backcompatibility. This should be done right the first
time... at least to within reason.

Before I finish I want to say that this is by no means to say that I
do not think this would be a very useful thing. For individuals who
may find secure storage unacceptable and won't find documenting keys
and passwords such a chore, it is a boon. What I really find
facinating however, is the potential to backup data to an untrusted
backup server.