Date:      Tue, 8 May 2001 19:57:26 -0500
From:      "Victor R. Cardona" <vcardona@home.com>
To:        Juha Saarinen <juha@saarinen.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CFLAGS Optimization

On Wed, May 09, 2001 at 11:23:07AM +1200, Juha Saarinen wrote:
> I don't know why the optflags produce broken code on FreeBSD, but not with
> Linux.

Actually, -O > 2 does produce broken code in Linux. The reason -O2 is
used more often on a Linux system is because you never recompile the
entire system. You compile individual components that were developed by
developers who used those options when they tested their code. I would
bet that if there was a Linux distribution that allowed you to recompile
the entire kernel and userland in one shot, then you would see some of
the same problems that the FreeBSD developers have already pointed out.

> Aren't we sick of this thread yet?

Yes.

- v
--
Victor R. Cardona
vcardona@home.com

                "Behold the keyboard of Kahless, the greatest Klingon
                  code warrior that ever lived!"