Date:      Thu, 12 Oct 1995 11:22:54 -0400
From:      dennis@etinc.com (dennis)
To:        John Hay <jhay@mikom.csir.co.za>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IPX now available

>> FreeBSD.
>> understand

>> drivers

>> How about making the 802.3 work? It shouldn't be difficult, and lots of us
>> (and I do mean LOTS) are still using it and have no good reason to change.
>>
>It isn't difficult to support 802.3. The problem is in setting it from the
>userlevel. If it is just a kernel compile time option it should be easy. I
>have thought of using one of the link flags in the ifnet structure, then
>you can just add it to the ifconfig commandline. It would mean the minimum
>changes. I think you would only need to change if_ethersubr.c then.

I don't know how you wrote your code, but it isn't that difficult, its just
another case. When you
get an 802.3 packet, you can add an additional sanity test by looking at the
header to try to verify that
it is an IPX packet. There's no perfect way to do it, but people have been
doing it for years without
much impact on anything else.

Dennis
Emerging Technologies, Inc.      http://www.etinc.com

Synchronous Communications Cards and Routers For
Discriminating Tastes. 56k to T1 and beyond. Frame
Relay, PPP, HDLC, and X.25