Date:      Mon, 20 Jan 2003 12:42:43 -0500
From:      Albertus Magnus <st_albert@gmx.net>
To:        Mark <admin@asarian-host.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Shutdown for APC Back-UPS 350 CS

On Monday 20 January 2003 05:42, Mark wrote:
> Apparent, CTS changes state. Dunno what RNG does (alarm?), but CTS
> should suffice. Hmm, that kinda makes me wonder, is there not a
> FreeBSD command I can issue myself, via cron or something, to test
> the state of CTS? Then I may not need apcupsd at all.
>
> Thanks for your continual help,
>
> - Mark

I suggest you look at nut in the ports collection.  It will do just=20
about anything you need, though it is a bitch to set up (umpteen=20
interrelated config files need to be just right).  But more=20
importantly, it has lots of good documentation about cables and such. =20
I found, for example, that the supposedly correct APC cable for my APC=20
BackUPS (one of the semi-dumb ones) was actually missing a line.  I=20
made a custom cable, and walla!  no more problem.

Keep in mind, by the way, that the serial cable is not actually sending=20
serial data (like ascii text, for example).  It just raises and lowers=20
the levels of various lines to signal various things.  (I know you=20
probably already know that, but just for completeness...)

And finally, yes, even the dumb UPS's can sense and communicate the loss=20
and return of AC power, at the very least.

HTH
Albert