Date:      Tue, 25 Jul 2000 17:48:54 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        FreeBSD SMP list <FreeBSD-smp@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Progress with interrupt threads

I have now finished coding the interrupt threads, and am trying to
debug them.  As mentioned in an earlier message, the sources are
available for perusal at http://www.lemis.com/SMPng/.  Please don't
download everything; this is a 56 kB modem link, and it would set fire
to the line.  If you do want to do more than browse at the moment,
please contact me and we'll arrange something.

Following Chuck's suggestion and my own intention in my last message,
I first made the sio and clock interrupts fast interrupts, which are
not threaded; instead, the interrupt handler is executed before EOI.
In this configuration, the system hung in the IDE probe.  I then
changed the disk drivers to also be fast interrupts, which allowed the
IDE driver to continue, but the system still hangs in the SCSI probes.
Since it gets through the IDE probes OK, I'm migrating to a system
without SCSI, which will take a few hours to install.  In the
meantime, if you see anything obviously wrong in the code, please let
me know.

On the positive side, the scheduling seems to work, and the keyboard
interrupt seems to work OK.

Greg