Date:      Mon, 4 Mar 2002 22:27:55 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Patrick Thomas <root@utility.clubscholarship.com>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dell PERC scrub / scrubbing question

On Mon, 4 Mar 2002, Patrick Thomas wrote:

> When I created my mirrors originally with my Dell PERC 2 controller, they
> immediately started scrubbing.  The BIOS told me not to use them until
> they were done scrubbing.  Fair enough.

  Depends on what they mean by scrubbing.  It usually takes a long time to
initialize a RAID5 volume, because the parity is created for the first
time.

  Scrubbing usually refers to reading all blocks, and verifying that the
parity matches.  This is used to detect bad blocks on a disk.  Not all
RAID controllers even do this.  Scrubbing is important for RAID5, because
if a disk develops a bad area where some infrequently accessed files are
stored, you might be in for an unpleasent surprise if you try to read them
when the array is running degraded.  On systems that I've seen that do
scrubbing, they always implement it as a low-priority background task as
to not to impair normal volume activity.  It might be possible to
configure the scrubbing priority, as well as the scrubbing schedule.

Tom