Date:      Mon, 16 Feb 1998 23:41:55 +0200 (EET)
From:      Jukka E Isosaari <jei@dopey.hut.fi>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Advice needed.

Hello!

I am going to be providing unix support for about 15-20
different PC computers in the local University. Could you
recommend an OS that would be easy to configure and install
for a myriad of different computers? They have different
processors (most are 586's), some have different display
cards, network cards, scanners and printers attached, etc.

The users are math professors, teachers, lecturers and assistants
that use lots of mathematical software, Latex, Maple, Mathematica,
Matlab, etc all the math software out there, plus some prefer
graphical text editors.

Most of the computers already have NT, Windows and/or Linux on them,
and I suspect installing (FreeBSD?) on the NT computers won't be
possible without repartitioning and reinstalling also the NT.

However, I want to give everyone the option of installing the OS
of my choice, and I would like to provide support and CD's, etc,
for the one unix OS/distribution that I choose.

Should I go for FreeBSD, Debian, RedHat or something else?

I am dreaming of providing all the users with a bootable
Linux/FreeBSD/Whatever CD that they could test the OS with.

Is there an easy way to prepare a multitude of boot disks and
a CD-R disk (with live-filesystem) for each of the different computers?

Any help, tips and recommendations are very welcome. I have a
lot of Linux experience, but I have never had to support lots
of users with lots of different computers. I have only used
RedHat and Slackware, but I am willing to learn myself any free
unix out there if it makes this task any easier and helps spread
the free unices.

Thank you for your time!

++ J