Date:      Sat, 08 Apr 1995 00:24:32 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freefall.cdrom.com>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        ache@astral.msk.su, freebsd-current@freefall.cdrom.com, rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com
Subject:   Re: Strange kernel printf...

> Although repeating the device lines is a hack, its syntax is simpler and
> exactly matches the data structures that should be built, at least in
> ioconf.c (you wouldn't want variable length arrays or linked lists).

Hmmmmm.  Mumble.  OK.

> I don't like this.  Conflicts need to be resolved at runtime.  The
> static conflict checking code in isa.c should go away and be replaced
> by calls such as
>
> 	register_iobase(iobase, iosize, id, flags);
>
> There should be flags for exclusive access and for preventing exclusive
> access by other drivers.

OK, that sounds more reasonable - I was just looking for a relatively
quick fix with my other proposal.. :)  So, my original question remains:
Is this something we're going to actually do, or are we prepared to live
with config in all of its fetid glory for the forseeable future?

					Jordan