Date:      Wed, 12 Apr 95 18:11:26 EDT
From:      fcawth@squid.umd.edu (Fred Cawthorne)
To:        agl@redline.ru (Anthony Graphics)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@wcarchive.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: 940804 (vaporware ;-) reboots the system either:

> again, the system worked for weeks under load in linux,
> now FreeBSD reboots it during the memory test :-[
> I tryed to increase wait states in the CMOS to MAX values to no avail :-[
> Any pointers would be welcome. Somebody told me that disabling
> cache on the motherboard could help: but I don't want to do
> such a stupid tricks.
(You should at least try it to see if it works, you don't have to
 leave it that way but it will let you eliminate alot of other possible
 causes like corrupt binaries, bad memory, etc...)
> Thanx in advance for any pointers.
> AGL

I had a system that did this too.  I think it is the UNI chipset's
fault.  (It only got past the memory check if the external cache was
turned off) I think it is a rather rare chipset...  Anyway, it used to die
when trying to boot 2.0 +, until the latest snap that doesn't have
the memory test in it (:  The memory test must have snarfed up something
in there...  Now, it seems to work fine.  I did a couple of kernel
recompiles, etc.. and it is fine.  The system is an AMD 486-66 UNI
chipset with 8 megs ram and an IDE disk.
So, I suggest that you try the 950322 snap.

Fred.