Date:      Fri, 29 Dec 1995 09:45:11 -0800
From:      Kevin McQuiggin <mcquiggi@sfu.ca>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Tutorial on partitioning, disklabel, newfs?

I have just added a new HD to my 2.1 system. As it's the kind of thing that
I only do once in awhile, I'm very shaky about the esoterics of fdisk,
diskpart, disklabel, newfs, etc.

Is there any good documentation available about how BSD organizes and names
partitions, rules for partitioning HDs, etc? I have several questions. I'd
like to read up on this so that I don't have to hack around next time to get
things working.

I found one helpful entry in the FAQ about disklabel, but this still didn't
give an overview of the requirements.

Similarly, I have "Essential System Administration" by Frisch, but it isn't
specific enough to FreeBSD.

Any info would be appreciated,

Kevin

---