Date:      Thu, 25 Nov 2021 07:37:01 +0100
From:      =?UTF-8?Q?Fernando_Apestegu=C3=ADa?= <fernando.apesteguia@gmail.com>
To:        Daniel Ebdrup Jensen <debdrup@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Call for Foundation-supported Project Ideas

On Thu, Nov 25, 2021 at 1:02 AM Daniel Ebdrup Jensen
<debdrup@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 24, 2021 at 10:44:16PM +0100, Fernando Apestegu=C3=ADa wrote:
> >El mi=C3=A9., 24 nov. 2021 22:32, Shawn Webb <shawn.webb@hardenedbsd.org=
>
> >escribi=C3=B3:

> >> What

> >> directly

> >> Another idea:
> >>
> >> 5. Distributed Poudriere. I have a few systems that would benefit from
> >>    such a feature. For example, two ThunderX1 systems. And once I
> >>    resurrect our partially-dead ThunderX2 system, we'll have three
> >>    arm64 appliances in which we can build packages.
> >>

> >Package seeding in poudriere
>
> Hi folks,
>
>       This has been in poudriere since May 2021 according to [1], and is
>       currently usable if you install poudriere-devel.

Thanks for pointing that out. I've been closely following this feature
in GH and the last comments from the "original" proposal is:

"#797 is merged but there are a lot of pitfalls that make this not as
useful as it seems. For example, llvm and all the other big stuff
still builds. #822 will probably be needed to fix that."
Also https://github.com/freebsd/poudriere/issues/822 is still open.

Package seeding is important precisely to avoid building big stuff
(llvm, cmake, qt5*, etc).

How often does poudriere get updated with changes from
poudriere-devel? Or if poudriere-devel is stable enough I could give
it a try anyway.