Date:      Thu, 27 Jul 2006 17:34:23 -0400
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        Mike Meyer <mwm-keyword-freebsdhackers2.e313df@mired.org>
Subject:   Re: disklabel differences FreeBSD, DragonFly

On Thursday 27 July 2006 16:58, Mike Meyer wrote:
> Right. I typically install / and /usr as distinct files systems for
> just that reason (/ and /usr have different backup & recovery
> strategies and I use dump, so that's why they are two partitions). So
> why does / need to be different from /var, /usr different from
> /usr/X11R6 and /home different from /usr/local? Seriously now - what I
> just described is my typical install.

In my case I still have /home in /usr/home, but I should start making it
separate in the hope that I could mount /usr read-only most of the time
reducing the time it takes to fsck when I crash my test machines.  This is
peculiar to an environ where one expects to crash a lot though. :)  Even so,
I would be looking at /, /usr, /var, /tmp, /home, and swap.  Still under 7
('c' is reserved).

--
John Baldwin