Date:      Thu, 15 Feb 1996 10:37:05 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        muir@idiom.com (David Muir Sharnoff)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: An ISP's Wishlist...

David Muir Sharnoff stands accused of saying:

> I know you've seen such things before, so I'm sending mostly to
> keep the feedback coming.

Wishlists are a Good Thing 8)

> 	** Things that were so import that I've cobbled together
> 	   solutions to the following.  If someone wants what I've
> 	   done, contact me.

Yes.  All of it.  Put it where people can get at it and advertise same.
Pester for someone to review and commit whatever is relevant. 8)

> fixed boca16 driver so that it doesn't hang once a week.  (No current
> urgency -- I bought a pair of Cyclades 16e's to use until the boca
> driver is fixed)

It appears that there's a problem with acknowledging interrupts and the
Boca cards.  I don't know if Joe Greco ever got to the beottom of his
locking up...

> A named that didn't die or at least restarted automatically.  Lack
> of a nameserver can be a problem.  My guess is that the named problems
> stem from having a system that is constantly running ifconfig...  It
> doesn't seem to like to have the addresses that it binds to change.

Wrap it in a tiny shellscript :

while [ 1 ]; do
	named $*
done

> It would be very nice to be able to have a separate configuration for
> each port that named might bind to.  There are times when I want to
> serve different information to different nets.  This is particularly
> handy when building firewalls.

That definitely falls into "you have the source" 8)

> Memory efficiency.  The most expensive part of putting a system
> together at the moment is memory.

What have you identified as the major wasters of memory?  If you're
running 2.1 or -STABLE, bring malloc.c in from current and recompile
libc.  This gets you the new phkmalloc, which seems to be somewhat more
efficient.

> automatic reboot and report of diagnostics when the system
> hangs in disk wait.

Justin has this (for SCSI disks) on the drawing board.

> Getty should track modem disconnect codes, reset the modem, and
> notice incoming faxes.  I've already modified the default getty
> to notice PPP connects, but that's needed here too.

Modem disconnect coeds are as good as impossible to catch; some modems
emit then before dropping DCD, so there's no way of knowing that they
_are_ disconnect codes.  To do this properly would require major
modifications to the serial driver(s).

mgetty does much of what else you want; it also recognises incoming FNT
connections.

> Support for Win95 PPP modes that to autoconfigure DNS server

This would be (AFAIK) in direct violation of a number of the RFC's
that define PPP.  There was some discussion on this a while back;
non consensus was reached as I recall.

> A port of 'ofiles' or 'lsof'

lsof should be in the ports collection.  I believe I've seen discussion on
'ofiles', but I'm not sure.  'fstat' is quite helpful sometimes.

> SMP.  Sometimes more CPU is needed.

This is being worked on; if you have resources, talk to Terry.

> Real layered filesystems.  In particular, I want to layer system
> configurations over a read-only root filesystem that is replicated
> to all my computers.

Fix the unionfs 8)

> Reliable and secure NIS or an equivelent.

There's completely new NIS code going in to 2.2 as we speak.  From
reading the commit messages this is a serious piece of work.

> Pkg_manage enhancements to show what has been installed.  I
> typically install about 90% of the packages and it's a real pain
> to remember what's been installed.   And don't mention that useless
> unsorted list on the right.

pkg_manage was recently diked, IIRC.  pkg_info will tell you what's
installed : 'pkg_info -aI |sort'

> Better support for CDROM changers: it would be nice if it figured
> out a mount point by looking at the disk the way that Solaris does.

Not enough disks have meaningful identifiers; still, this could be
done with a shellscript.

> Better and easier OS emulation support.  In order of importance:
> Win3.1, Win95,

Coming, but nontrivial.  See Wine and TWIN.

> Solaris,

Dunno 8)

> Macintosh (emulated),

Via Executor & the Linux emulation.

> BSDI, Linux,

Already in place.

> WinNT,

Not likely in the short-term future.

> DOS,

Already (PCemu), will get better (DOSemu)

> Sys5.4, and SCO.

iBCS2 and particularly SCO support is there already.

> I would like to be able to call up Frame
> and say, please send me a copy for ??? without worrying that it
> won't work.

Dreaming 8)

> Better filesystem compatability.  In order: DOS (improved),

In progress.

> Linux (can be handled by SysV filesystem support because Linux

No it can't, but we already have ext2fs support.

> also has it).   Much less important: all the rest (Win95, WinNT,
> OS/2, SCO, Linux native, UMSDOS)

VFAT is likely once the FAT support is fixed.  There's a readonly NTFS
around already.  I don't recall anyone working on HPFS, SCO or UMSDOS.
UMSDOS should be redundant (apart from for compatability reasons) once
VFAT is done.

> Netscape commerce server style sysadmin interface.  (Have you installed
> netscape's server lately?).  Very good for the system as a whole, for
> various daemons: apache, samba, inetd, named, innd, sendmail (well, maybe
> not), gated, etc.

Yetch.  Requires netscape; not necessarily a winner.

> Appletalk support.  disks, printers, Apple Remote Access.

CAP works, gives you 2 of 3 8)

> Netware support.  Linux has it.

In what regard?  FreeBSD can route IPX as well.

Thanks for the list!

]] Collector of old Unix hardware.      "I seek PEZ!" - The Tick        [[