Date:      Sat, 27 Jul 2002 12:47:49 -0400
From:      Hudson Lee <hudlee@vineyard.net>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: an driver with cisco aironet mini-pci 350

On Fri, Jul 26, 2002 at 12:59:02PM -0700, Brooks Davis wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 26, 2002 at 03:00:22PM -0400, Hudson Lee wrote:
> > I have a Thinkpad T30 with a Cisco Aironet mini-pci wireless card. I can't get
> > the an driver to recognize the card. With device an in the kernel my card
> > shows up in dmesg like this:
> >
> > pci2: <unknown card> (vendor=0x14b9, dev=0xa504) at 2.0 irq 11
> >
> > I don't know much about drivers but I went looking in /usr/src/sys/dev/an/if_an_pci.c
> > and I noticed the device id (0xa504) isn't in this list:
> >
> > #define AIRONET_VENDORID 0x14B9
> > #define AIRONET_DEVICEID_35x	0x0350
> > #define AIRONET_DEVICEID_4500	0x4500
> > #define AIRONET_DEVICEID_4800	0x4800
> > #define AIRONET_DEVICEID_4xxx	0x0001
> > #define AN_PCI_PLX_LOIO		0x14	/* PLX chip iobase */
> > #define AN_PCI_LOIO		0x18   /* Aironet iobase */
> >
> > static struct an_type an_devs[] = {
> >        { AIRONET_VENDORID, AIRONET_DEVICEID_35x, "Cisco Aironet 350
> >        Series" },
> >        { AIRONET_VENDORID, AIRONET_DEVICEID_4500, "Aironet PCI4500" },
> >        { AIRONET_VENDORID, AIRONET_DEVICEID_4800, "Aironet PCI4800" },
> >        { AIRONET_VENDORID, AIRONET_DEVICEID_4xxx, "Aironet
> >        PCI4500/PCI4800" },
> >        { 0, 0, NULL }
> > };
> >
> > I'm pretty sure my card is in the 350 series since I don't know of
> > any mini-pci aironet cards that are not 350's.
> >
> > Does this mean the an driver doesn't support the mini-pic 350 aironet
> > card? Or am I doing something wrong?
>
> It means no one has seen one of these before so it's not in there.
> Try adding an appropriate line to an_devs and recompiling.  I'm not sure
> that will work since the olders ones appear to be PLX based and MiniPCI
> cards probably aren't, but that's the first step.
>
> -- Brooks

Thanks for the suggestion, that was the first thing I tried, it didn't
work. Unfortunitly the driver needs more tewaking before it will work
with the card, and I'm not smart enoungh to fix it myself. I'm working
on the whole getting smarter thing but in the meantime...

What I should have done before: opened up the laptop to get specific
info on the card.

It is the Cisco Aironet MPI350
Full Model #: AIR-MPI350-U58H004
FCC ID: MCL U58H004

The grant of equipment authorization is issued to AMBIT microsystems,
I don't know what AMBIT is but the card is definitly a cisco card.

After looking on the fcc's website I noticed that the grant date for
the card was 04/18/2002. I think I understand why the driver doesn't
work and why no one has heard of the card now.

So how does someone who can't fix it themselves go about asking
(begging) others to add support?

I don't know how different the mini-pci card is from the pci and
pcmcia versions that work with the an driver. It could (In my dreams)
be a simple matter of changing a few lines of code. Or the driver
might need major changes. It's a new card and kind of obscure so that
means the right person (driver author or someone smart) probably
doesn't have one laying around to play with. This certanly makes
supporting it harder...