Date:      Sun, 31 May 2015 18:05:42 -0300
From:      Luiz Otavio O Souza <lists.br@gmail.com>
To:        che@bein.link
Cc:        "freebsd-arm@freebsd.org" <arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: if_dwc instead of if_emac on cubieboard2

On 29 May 2015 at 18:10, Maxim V Filimonov wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I was advised to look at if_dwc instead of if_emac to improve network
> performance on my cubieboard2. However, I was told that setting
>> device dwc
> instead of
>> device emac
> in the kernel config isn't enough. It's also necessary to configure
> cubieboard's pins on dwc startup. This is where I'm stuck. I have the code:
> 1.
> http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/sys/arm/allwinner/a10_gpio.c?revision=281085&view=markup#l527
>
> 2.
> http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/sys/arm/allwinner/if_emac.c?revision=281675&view=markup#l143
>
> And I don't know how to make it work. What i was told, though, was that I
> should use the constant 5 instead of A10_GPIO_PULLDOWN in a10_gpio.c
> How can I make the code from a10_gpio.c get called on dwc startup?

Hi Maxim,

As br@ said, the if_dwc driver is for a slight different version of
hardware (basically it differs on tx and rx descriptor layouts and a
few other bits here and there).

After struggling with the differences for a few days I could make it
work.  Now it needs a serious cleanup and then I have to think what to
do WRT existent if_dwc (if it is possible to integrate the both
versions in the same driver or leave it as a separated driver).

The driver also needs some infrastructure work to guarantee the
internal states on stop->start cycles.

This should get us a reliable driver and finally an usable system on
a20 SoCs (specially on cubie2 and banana pi).

Thank you for bring this back again.

Luiz