Date:      Tue, 27 Feb 1996 14:09:50 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        LARRYD@bldg1.croute.com (Larry Dolinar)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cd9660

>|> I have mounted my CD drive.  It works very good except a few problems.  One
>|> of which is bothering me.  After I do the 'mount -t cd9660 /dev/mcd0 /cdrom'
>|> and it works, I can not swich the CDs unless I unmount it.  I do not like
>|> unmounting and remounting every time I want to swich the CD.  Why can I not
>|> swich the CD while mounted?  How can I make it so I don't need to unmount it?
>|>

>                             <stuff deleted>
>
>|  I'd be inclined to define "media departure" (and "media arrival") events
>|  and deliver them to a resource manager when the CDROM realizes it has
>|  been ejected so that they can be processed as "unmount old/mount new".
>|

> This is starting to sound like 'vold' in Solaris; say it isn't so....
>
> 8)

It isn't so.

I would use the devfs device registration mechanism to trigger an
"arrival" event.  Conventional media would "arrive" as well, then
(it would just never depart).

Arrival would trigger a "mount" internally to a POSIX namespace
accessable by root.

Devices with removable media would "arrive" before their media did,
and when the media showed up (was inserted) would fall into the
physical to logical device translation that gives us partions and
slieces and media perfection and compression... etc..

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.