Date:      Mon, 2 Apr 2012 12:25:06 +0300
From:      Beeblebrox <zaphod@berentweb.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: lagg problems on diskless client

Hi, Peter.

I had looked into failover with wireless and tried it before posting, but
got nowhere. I delayed posting an answer because I needed to do more
fiddleing; and I made some headwy, but still problems:
1. With below setup in diskless client's rc.conf, the client is able to
boot and gets to login screen:
ifconfig_re1="up ether 00:30:67:91:6c:c2"
cloned_interfaces="lagg0"
ifconfig_lagg0="up laggproto failover laggport re1 192.168.2.2 netmask
255.255.255.0"

2. ifconfig at that point shows all good: same mac addr and lagg0 active.
re0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
options=8209b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM,WOL_MAGIC,LINKSTATE>
ether 00:30:67:91:6c:c2
media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX <half-duplex>)
status: active
re1: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
options=8209b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM,WOL_MAGIC,LINKSTATE>
ether 00:30:67:91:6c:c2
media: Ethernet autoselect (1000baseT <full-duplex>)
status: active
lagg0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
options=8209b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM,WOL_MAGIC,LINKSTATE>
ether 00:30:67:91:6c:c2
media: Ethernet autoselect
status: active
laggproto failover
laggport: re1 flags=5<MASTER,ACTIVE>

Now if I go and unplug NIC10/100 on diskless client and "list folder", the
client will freeze - so failover does not switch. After some time passes,
client informs that NFS server 192.168.2.1 is not responding.

PS- I mistakenly double-posted:
http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=39210+0+current/freebsd-net