Date:      Sat, 14 Jan 2006 22:37:33 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Bryan C. Hahn" <bryanh@meridian-enviro.com>
To:        Justin Bastedo <justin.bastedo@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-database@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MySQL and FreeBSD native threads

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006, Justin Bastedo wrote:

> I've been using MySQL 5 now for about 6 months in a productin
> environment and haven't had any problems. Our co-located master server
> replicates to an inhouse slave. and neither has given us any problems.
>
> Uptime: 6355651 Threads: 2 Questions: 143125480 Slow queries: 0 Opens:
> 0 Flush tables: 2 Open tables: 55 Queries per second avg: 22.519
>
> >uptime
>  5:42PM  up 129 days,  4:17, 1 user, load averages: 0.03, 0.03, 0.00
>
> seeing a mild load, nothing too heavy, and mainly inserts and selects
> and has been really stable.
>
> Justin

Justin,

I'm glad to hear you're having success with this MySQL 5 and FreeBSD
combination.  We'd really love to hear what your configuration is:

 * Is mysql installed from ports?  If so, what knobs did you twist?

 * What threading configuration are you using?  (Linux, native, etc.)

 * Anything special in the my.cnf file?

 * Are you using Innodb?  BDB?

 * Exactly what version of FreeBSD?

 * SMP or UP?  AMD or Intel?  Motherboard?  Amount of memory?

 * RAID?  If so, ATA or SATA or SCSI?  What controller and
   RAID configuration?

 * Is the slave configuration roughly the same?

We have almost no experience with MySQL 4 or 5 on any version of FreeBSD.
We have been successfully using MySQL 3.23 on both FreeBSD 4 and 5
*without* threading.

Obviously for us, upgrading MySQL would be a good thing, and finding a
suitable, reliable configuration would be even better.

  - Bryan