Date:      Mon, 28 Nov 2011 00:11:03 +0000
From:      "b. f." <bf1783@googlemail.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org, Adam Stylinski <stylinae@mail.uc.edu>
Subject:   Re: ataraid and 9.0 RC-2

> I just ran freebsd-update to get up to 9.0-RC2 and discovered that atarai=
d does not work.  I realize I'm an edge case and my scenario is not ideal (=
I use an ITE controller and performance is actually impressively slow), but=
 I cannot boot 9.0 from my stripe, even after manually loading ataraid from=
 the loader prompt (after running an unload command).  I mention it mostly =
because other people using the fakeraid setup by their motherboards for wha=
tever reason (perhaps to share a partition table with window

> atapci0 at pci0:2:11:0:    class=3D0x010400 card=3D0x00000000 chip=3D0x82=
121283 rev=3D0x13 hdr=3D0x00
>     vendor     =3D 'Integrated Technology Express (ITE) Inc'
>     device     =3D 'ATA 133 IDE RAID Controller (IT8212F)'
>     class      =3D mass storage
>     subclass   =3D RAID
> rl0 at pci0:2:13:0:        class=3D0x020000 card=3D0x80ea104d chip=3D0x81=
3910ec rev=3D0x10 hdr=3D0x00

> At first I figured because it may be loading AHCI (as per the device nami=
ng schemes ada0 and ada1).  I haven't looked too much into it (these device=
s are actually PATA not SATA, so AHCI doesn't even exist for these), but ma=
ybe there's an ATA/AHCI driver that's built into the default kernelthat is =
interfering with ataraid.ko?  Maybe this interferes with my stupidly slow a=
nd unpopular configuration.

> Thanks for any help, I'll also have a gander at the new DEFAULTS for the =
generic kernel in the 9.0 source tree.

ataraid(4) has been deprecated, since it does not work with the new
default kernel option ATA_CAM, and some other devices. graid(8) is
intended to replace it:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2011-March/023299.html
http://svnweb.FreeBSD.org/base?view=3Drevision&revision=3D219974