Date:      Thu, 5 Feb 1998 07:15:10 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        julian@whistle.com, hasty@rah.star-gate.com, mckusick@McKusick.COM, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kirk's soft-update integration..

> Ummm.  I still completely fail to see why OpenBSD was able to
> integrate all the hooks AND make the two "encumbered" (sorry
> to use that word ;) files available on their web site without
> any such hoop-jumping.

Because OpenBSD has not deviated so significantly from BSD4.4-Lite2
as FreeBSD has?  There are interactions with the vnode changes in
FreeBSD, the cache unification (Kirk's original code keeps two lists
of vnodes), and the VM system.

> I really do also get the feeling that the intervention of whistle in
> this matter has only vastly overcomplicated the situation for the
> average user.  As amancio says, why can't we just ftp the files from
> someplace?

IMO, not speaking for Whistle here, you can.

> I've asked Kirk about the method that OpenBSD used and he
> didn't seem to have any objections to what they're doing, so why will
> FreeBSD's support require a signature in blood before we can do the
> same thing?

It won't, IMO, again not Whistle's.

I think the question being asked by Julian is about integration of the
hooks, despite the fact that commercial use of what they would hook
requires obtaining a license from Kirk, and non-commercial use requires
source distribution, ala Sean's GPL reference.

I believe it's on the order of the GPL'ed math emulator's hooks.

Don't forget, that non-licensed-in-this-way patches and an improved
"updated" (renamed "syncer") that effectively does write-gathering
(ala SunOS's big performance improvement for their NFS servers) are
packaged with the stub version of the update code (which *is* usable
commercially.

Personally, I think it's a win, even if I might have chosen to eat the
recalculation of Hamilton cycles (as a trade for allowing dependencies
to cross FS stacking boundries) and a more general soloution to the
problem.  Such a soloution might not have suited Whistle, actually,
since it would have a slightly lower performance (3-5%, probably) and
a significantly higher mount and crash recovery overhead (you don't
mount or crash-recover that frequently).

I've seen it "alpha" with Kirk's live dependency code, and I have to
say that it's damned impressive to see something like this work in
FreeBSD (I saw it work in Windows95, without clustering, about 2
years ago when my team did it at Artisoft; it was less impressive
that running it in FreeBSD ;-)).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---