Date:      Mon, 12 Mar 2001 21:54:16 +1000
From:      "Doug Young" <dougy@bryden.apana.org.au>
To:        "wsimpson Last Name" <wsimpson@my-deja.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: dos format and MBR?

With the price of hard drives & those removable cradles being what it is
these days its
probably simpler & more reliable to have two drives and simply plug in
whichever you
want ... at least that guarantees that one O/S won't mess with the other
one.

> I have been trying to set up a dual boot machine: FreeBSD and dos. The
FreeBSD end seems fine, but it seems I have some corruption of the dos
partition.  I am not very familiar with how the boot manager works. If I say
run a dos scandisk or disk doctor utility, or format the dos partition, will
this screw up the MBR and therefore I won't be able to boot into FreeBSD any
more? I would like to avoid reinstalling FreeBSD.

> Naively it seems that if I format the dos partition the install dos on it
I will trash the FreeBSD boot loader.  How can I fix up dos and leave
FreeBSD intact?