Date:      Mon, 8 Apr 1996 13:12:32 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
To:        "Brent J. Nordquist" <nordquist@platinum.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Port of gdbm 1.7.3 to FreeBSD uploaded

On Mon, 8 Apr 1996, Brent J. Nordquist wrote:

> I placed in in ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/incoming/gdbm-1.7.3.tar.gz.
> This was an extremely straightforward port; no work Makefile or code
> changes were required.  I just had to develop the top-level Makefile
> and the package files.
>
> There was only one issue of concern:  FreeBSD 2.1 appears to ship with
> a /usr/include/ndbm.h.  However, a man -k on dbm and ndbm reveals
> nothing of interest, and there don't appear to be any dbm libraries.
> Does FreeBSD have dbm/ndbm support?
>
> If it doesn't, gdbm provides some compatibility headers and programs
> for testing and converting to gdbm.  To install these headers by
> default, uncomment the appropriate line in the top-level Makefile.  The
> pkg/PLIST file should then also be updated with:
>
>    include/dbm.h
>    include/ndbm.h

Brent, take a look at the dbopen man page, FreeBSD uses the Berkeley dbm
code, a pretty new version, too (db.1.85).

Chuck Robey chuckr@eng.umd.edu, I run FreeBSD-current on n3lxx + Journey2

Three Accounts for the Super-users in the sky,
  Seven for the Operators in their halls of fame,
Nine for Ordinary Users doomed to crie,
  One for the Illegal Cracker with his evil game
In the Domains of Internet where the data lie.
  One Account to rule them all, One Account to watch them,
  One Account to make them all and in the network bind them.