Date:      Thu, 11 Feb 1999 00:49:25 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        mattl@modacad.com (mattl)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: regarding the book:scheduling and load balancing

After bothering to type this in, I'm going to Cc my reply to the SMP
list for everyone's edification (I have had two other similar
inquiries).  Hope you don't mind, but I'm pretty sure there's nothing
you said that's non-disclosable, since you pretty much duplicate
the other requests, verbatim.

> I found the book(0-8186-6587-4) in amazon, but there is no table of
> content nor any thing about the author's background. I don't know if i
> should buy or not. Is this book about smp or distributed(networked)
> parallel system? This book is published at 1995, kind of old. I don't
> know if the idea in there are any new? These authors does look famous
> professors and is titled editors in amazon, which make me worried.

This book is a compendium of all IEEE papers on the topic to 1995.

As such, it's 3 years out of date, and at least 9 years ahead of
FreeBSD and Linux.

Yes, there are newer references, though not many, if you subscribe
to the ACM, Usenix, and IEEE publications themselves, or if you go
through NCSTREL (some of the papers in the book are available online).

I would suggest looking for them online; you will find perhaps
15-20% of them.

Again, there's a *massive* amount of reference material in NCSTREL
on this topic.  It doesn't meet your "a book" requirement, but it's
about 12 years ahead of FreeBSD or Linux.

Yet more proof that you have to have a strange and/or unpronouncible
name, or at least have someone who does on the paper with you, to be
published in Computer Science...

Here's the Table Of Contents:

Scheduling and Load Balancing in Parallel and Distributed Systems
ISBN: 0-8186-6587-4

Table of Contents

Preface

Acknowledgements

CHAPTER 1: INTRODUCTION TO SCHEDULING AND LOAD BALANCING

	A Taxonomy of Scheduling in General-Purpose Distributed Computing
	Systems
		- T.L. Casavan and J.G. Kuhl

	Multiprocessor Scheduling with the Aid of Network Fow Algorithms
		- H.S. Stone

	Load Distributing for Locally Distributed Systems
		- N.G. Shivaratri, P. Krueger, M. Singhal

CHAPTER 2: STATIC SCHEDULING

	Analysis and Evaluation of Heuristic Methods for Static Task
	Scheduling
		- B. Shirazi, M. Wang, G. Pathak

	Compile-time Partitioning and Scheduling of Parallel Programs
		- V. Sarkar, J. Hennessy

	Guided Self-Scheduling: A Practical Scheduling Scheme for
	Parallel Supercomputers
		- C.D. Polychronopoulos, D.J. Kuck

	Multiprocessor Scheduling with Communication Delays
		- B. Veltman, B.J. Lageweg, J.K. Lenstra

	Heuristic Algorithms for Task Assignment in Distributed Systems
		- V.M. Lo

	Allocating Modules to Processors in a Distributed System
		- D. Fernandez-Baca

	Compile-Time Scheduling and Assignment of Data-Flow Program
	Graphs with Data-Dependent Iteration
		- S. Ha, E.A. Lee

	A Program Allocation Scheme for Data Flow Computers
		- A.R. Hurson et. al.

CHAPTER 3: TASK GRANULARITY AND PARTITIONING

	On the Granularity and Clustering of Directed Acyclic Task
	Graphs
		- A. Gerasoulis, T. Yang

	The Effects of Problem Partitioning, Allocation, and Granularity
	on the Performance of Multiple-Processor Systems
		- Z. Cvetanovic

	Grain Size Determination for Parallel Processing
		- B. Kruatrachue, T. Lewis

	Lazy Task Creation: A Technique for Increasing the Granularity
	of Parallel Programs
		- E. Mohr, D.A. Kranz, R.H. Halstead, Jr.

CHAPTER 4: SCHEDULING TOOLS

	PARSA: A Parallel Program Developement Tool
		- B. Shirazi et. al.

	The TOPSYS Architecture
		- T. Bemmerl

	Parallax: A Tool for Parallel Program Scheduling
		- T. Lewis, H. El-Rewini

	Parafrase-2: An Environment for Paralleling, Partitioning,
	Synchronizing, and Scheduling Programs on Multiprocessors
		- C.D. Polychronopoulos et. al.

	Mapping Function-Parallel Programs with the Prep.-P Automatic
	Mapping Preprocessor
		- F. Berman, B. Stramm

	OREGAMI: Tools for Mapping Parallel Computations to Parallel
	Architectures
		- V.M. Lo et. al.

CHAPTER 5: LOAD BALANCING

	Load Sharing in Distributed Systems
		- Y.-T. Wang, R.J.T. Morris

	The Probability of Load Balancing Success in a Homogeneous
	Network
		- C.G. Rommel

	Adaptive Load Sharing in Homogeneous Distributed Systems
		- D.L. Eager, E.D. Lazowshka, J. Zahorjan

	Imbedding Gradient Estimators in Load Balancing Algorithms
		- S. Pulidas, D. Towsley, J.A. Stankovic

	The Diverse Objectives of Distributed Scheduling Policies
		- P. Krueger, M. Livny

	Effects of Response and Stability on Scheduling in
	Distributed Computing Systems
		- T.L. Casavant, J.G. Kuhl

	Condor - A Hunter of Idle Workstations
		- J.M. Litzkow, M. Livny, M.W. Mutka

	GAMMON: A Load Balancing Strategy for Local Computer Systems
	with Multiaccess Networks
		- K.M. Baumgartner, B.W. Wah

	The Stealth Distributed Scheduler
		- P. Krueger, R. Chawla

CHAPTER 6: MECHANISMS FOR PROCESS MIGRATION

	Design Issues of Process Migration Facilities in Distributed
	Systems
		- M.R. Eskicioglu

	Heterogeneous Process Migration by Recompilation
		- M.M. Theimer, B. Hayes

	Attacking the Process Migration Bottleneck
		- E.R. Zayas

	Designing a Process Migration Facility
		- Y. Artsy, R. Finkel

	Process Migration in DEMOS/MP
		- M.L. Powell, B.P. Miller

	Preemptable Remote Execution Facilities for the V-System
		- M.M. Theimer, K.A. Lantz, D.R. Cheriton

CHAPTER 7: LOAD INDICES

	Predictability of Process Resource Usage: A Measurement-Based
	Study on UNIX
		- M.V. Devarakonda, R.K. Iyer

	An Empirical Investigation of Load Indices for Load Balancing
	Applications
		- D. Ferrari, S. Zhou

	The Influence of Different Workload Descriptions on a
	Heuristic Load Balancing Scheme
		- T. Kunz

About the Authors

					Terry Lambert