Date:      Wed, 13 Jun 2001 12:39:36 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Kevin Way <kevin.way@overtone.org>, David Xu <bsddiy@163.net>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, mwm@mired.org, dougb@dougbarton.net, gordont@bluemtn.net, jkh@osd.bsdi.com, sheldonh@starjuice.net
Subject:   Re: import NetBSD rc system [summary]

At 10:01 PM -0400 6/12/01, Kevin Way wrote:
>David Xu wrote:
>  >   Is there any plan to import NetBSD rc system,
>  >   I am willing to see it appears in FreeBSD 5.0.
>
>Here's the status of this project at the moment as I see.  Please
>let me know if I've misunderstood anything, or if anybody has had
>a change of heart.
>
>Both Gordon Tetlow and myself have volunteered to start the work
>seperately (which I'm assuming isn't entirely a bad thing).
>
>Doug Barton [...]
>
>Mike Meyer [...]
>
>James_Bond_79@yahoo.com mentioned [...]

I see no reference to the thread "Plan to import NetBSD rc system"

      Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 18:23:53 +0200
      From: Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>

      Hi folks,

      Here's an update on the plan to import the NetBSD rc system
      into FreeBSD.

      I've contacted Luke Mewburn (the guy behind the new NetBSD
      rc system) and he's keen to chat to FreeBSD-heads after his
      talk at USENIX (FREENIX track).  I can't make it, but I'd
      encourage interested parties from the FreeBSD community to
      chat to him.  In fact, interested parties are encouraged
      to attend his talk. :-)

      After USENIX, the plan is that I'll get a hold of his slides
      and notes and will post a plan of action to freebsd-hackers,
      making sure that folks get a chance to see exactly how the
      new system is going to work.

I believe that in some other thread Sheldon had made the point
that we wanted to end up as close to Netbsd's implementation as
possible, which is why he wanted to work directly with Luke.
("Use the source, Luke"...)  If we do have some good extensions
to the Netbsd-rc work, then it'd be best if those extensions
ended up in both netbsd and freebsd implementations.  I believe
I've represented Sheldon correctly, except for the "Use the
source, Luke" line, which was a lame joke that I added on my own.

Note that I don't want anyone to stop any work they're doing on
this project, I just wanted to be sure everyone is aware of what
everyone else has said on the topic.