Date:      Thu, 28 Nov 1996 13:23:02 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        William Lloyd <wlloyd@tolstoy.mpd.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: handbook additions.

On Wed, 27 Nov 1996, William Lloyd wrote:

> I have done some work moving information from the FAQ and integrating
> it into the handbook.  As well, I have written some basic stuff for
> the mail section.

Thanks!  I have committed them with a few tweaks, and with a few
reservations.  I think some aspects of the mail document are
confusing and/or misleading.

> 	These are the major programs or components of an email exchange.
> 	<sect2><heading>User program</heading>

For consistent use of terminology, you should probably call these
"User Agents".

> 	<sect2><heading>POP Servers</heading>

IMAP should be mentioned here as well.

> <sect1><heading>Configure</heading>
> send email to external hosts.  The problem is no mail will be able to
> get back to your host.  This is not a problem if you are willing to
> make sure you hand edit the automatic <tt> reply to address </tt>
> every time you send a message.

If a machine has a DNS entry and appropriate network connection, an
out of the box FreeBSD configuration can send *and* receive mail just
fine.  What you address in this section is a special case of sending
mail from machine A, but receiving mail on machine B through the use
of DNS MX records.

This may be a desirable setup in some situations, but is hardly a
requirement for using email on FreeBSD, yet this section leads me to
believe that it is required.

What is needed is a description of what situations an out of the box
configuration works fine in (eg: a full time network connection, a
static IP number and a DNS A record for the machine.), and then some
common alternates (sending and receiving through a POP/IMAP mail
server).

-john

== http://fallout.campusview.indiana.edu/~jfieber ================