Date:      Sun, 6 Oct 1996 11:26:42 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
To:        flaq@synwork.com (SysAdmin)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD Questions)
Subject:   Re: Sending FreeBSD via e-mail

SysAdmin writes:

> Why would your mail get to you any faster than installing via ftp?  Just
> start the install and go to bed one night.

It's not that simple.  ftp is not as robust as mail: it tends to time
out on poor transpacific lines.  I've tried, and it's a pain, so I can
understand Arif.

> On Sun, 6 Oct 1996, Watung Arif B. wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I wanna install FreeBSD at my PC. But right know my internet connection
>> is so slow to use the FTP site (it will take about 13 hours for me to
>> just downloading the entire bin directory).
>>
>> Could you send me the FreeBSD programs via email?
>>
>> I think I need the entire content of these following directory:
>> 	1. bin
>> 	2. compat1x & 2x
>> 	3. doc
>> 	4. floppy
>> 	5. info, and
>> 	6. manpages

There is a feature called ftpmail that used to be available.  It's
described in Krol's "The Complete Internet" (O'Reilly) in the chapter
on Mail (but there's no reference in the index, at least not in my old
edition).  Try sending mail to ftpmail1@decwrl.dec.com, and send
'help' as the message text.

Greg