Date:      Tue, 11 Nov 1997 16:25:35 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        mark@vmunix.com (Mark Mayo)
Cc:        wghhicks@ix.netcom.com, mike@seidata.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Newest Pentium bug (fatal)

> From my naive eyes, it would certainly appear that if FreeBSD were
> going to port to the Alpha platform, Linux is the place to look
> for "documentation". NetBSD also seems to be running fairly well
> on the Alpha. NetBSD is even running on the TurboLaser
> products, which i don't believe Linux is (I could be wrong on that
> one).
>
> If Terry is able to port the VM system to the alpha architecture,
> that would be a huge step towards a sucessful port IMHO, since
> a lot of the other stuff could be "borrowed" from NetBSD and Linux.

It's not that hard a port; as John Dyson pointed out the last time this
came up, it's fairly portable, so I don't deserve a hell of a lot of
credit for it.  What isn't portable is the use of the VM system by
other systems in the kernel, starting with the FS.  That's mostly
NetBSD/FreeBSD integration, and it's an ongoing problem that gets
worse and worse as they both diverge from Lite2 without consideration
for the union of issues that both camps are trying to address.

> At any rate, it would be nice to have FreeBSD Alpha port. The other
> reality, of course, is that even though Alpha's are dropping like
> stones in price (at least the 21164PC ones..), they probably won't
> ever become mainstream enough to really warrant a FreeBSD port.
> Afterall, if I want BSD on my Alpha, I can always get it from NetBSD!

The point is not just to have BSD, but to leverage technological
advance; FreeBSD's VM is more advanced, it should go in.  FreeBSD's
SMP work is more advanced, it should go in.  NetBSD's build tree
structure is cross platform, it should go in.  FreeBSD's ports
system is more advanced, it should go in.  And so on.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.