Date:      Sun, 06 Jul 1997 12:29:19 -0400
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Building a multiport router out of FreeBSD

Hi,
	We are going to be upping our connection to the net to 5Mbps in the near
future.  Our upstream provider is going to provide us with a managed CISCO
that we will have no access to unfortunately.  Since we have fairly complex
routing requirements, we need some sort of multi port router in the office.
Considering I can build a Pentium 133 with a 4 Ethernet cards for around
$1200 Canadian (~$800 USD), this is significantly cheaper and in some ways
provides many advantages over a dedicated multiport router.  I was
wondering if anyone else out there have a similar setup ? Would a Pentium
133 with 32meg of RAM be enough memory and CPU horse power? I imagine it
would have 2 100Mbp ethernet cards and probably 3 10Mb ethernet cards in it
and I would manage the routing via gated.  We are only single homed and do
not require EBGP.  The box would act as a dedicated router with the
firewall features enabled in the kernel.

	---Mike
Mike Tancsa  (mike@sentex.net)           * To do is to be  -- Nietzsche
Sentex Communications Corp,              * To be is to do  -- Sartre
Cambridge, Ontario                       * Do be do be do  -- Sinatra
(http://www.sentex.net/~mdtancsa)        *