Date:      Thu, 24 Aug 1995 22:29:57 -0400 (EDT)
From:      dlr <dlr@asylum.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Adding scsi hard drive

the saga continues. reading all about adding scsi disks I've decided to
add one myself...I must have some sort of masochistic tendancies.

486-50 award 3.12 bios
2 ide drives
16meg ram
stable system running v2.0

adaptec scsi card 1542
seagate 1 gig hawk

kernel recompiled to probe for adaptec which it successfully does.
hd recognized and geometry (during bootup) appears ok

the fdc wangtek tape drive is now not recognized during bootup (cables
checked and appear ok but still may be bad or something as the old kernel
now doesn't recognize the tape)

errors during initial boot up (bios) that disk drives are wrong (I'm
assuming I need to change something on the adaptec card?) both 1.44
floppies recognized and are ok.

i disabled error reporting in the bios to get around the above error of
the disk drives being wrong and boot then proceeds until:

it gets to npx0 on Motherboard. there is hangs and goes no further with a
panic of:

fatal trap 12
fault virtual address 0x29
instruction pointer 0x8:0xff010ec8d

there are a few other lines of error messages.

could this be an irq/address problem?

what is npx0? and why is it hanging there?

thanks,

dave